16 Ladies – One Trophy

28 Jun 2009 by Hiland in Wimbledon 2009

If you are like me, the Ladies event has been gorgeous. Wonderfully athletic young ladies playing a beautiful game. I marvel at their athleticism, their competitiveness and their fitness. This Wimbledon has had the best of everything. This Wimbledon has elevated women’s tennis, bringing remembrances of eras past.

Great work, ladies.

daniela-hantuchova-wimbledon-2009Now, get back in those whites, pull your hair together, stretch those aching legs, get ready to run, dive, turn through the ball and chase every shot down. If you are going to move on, contest every point, hold nothing back. There is today and nothing else. Be in the moment when you begin and do not see, hear, think anything else.

That is what the Williams sisters are doing. They are getting ready for week two. The Williams women know that the easy part is past. It starts on Sunday. Every player in the final 16, deserve to be there. If you slip against one of these dolls, you can book that flight.

Get in the game, get in the moment and make it to the quarters. Nothing else matters.

Safina – Mauresmo – France’s Amelie Mauresmo registered a big win over Flavia Pennetta to get this far. Amelie will have her hands full with Dinara, who is still flying under the radar and has not lost a set. Safina said this was not her favorite surface. The bookmakers agree. Safina gets past her nerves and prevails.

Wozniacki – Lisicki – What a win for Sabine Lisicki. The German took it right to French Open Champ Svetlana Kuznetsova with a 6-2, 7-5 drubbing. Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki looks good. Since losing the first set of the week, she has only lost 12 games. Wozniacki wins.

Venus – Ivanovic – A throwback match. When Ana arrived last year, she was number one. The bookmakers like Venus as a solid second choice to win the crown. Ivanovic chalked up a solid win over tough Samantha Stosur and should be more confident than at the year’s earlier Grand Slams. Ana will show up at this one, but Venus has too much of everything and a120 mph serve helps.

Radwanska – Oudin – 11th seed Radwanska is the clear favorite. If Melanie Oudin gets any sleep, it will be restless. The Georgia peach has energy. If she does not let the moment overwhelm her, this is a winnable match for Oudin. We like her chances but make no play here.

Get free £15 bet on 888sports

Razzano – Schiavone – Razzano wins in walkover. Zvonareva is gone. Schiavone has good win over Bartoli. Schiavone struggled early in the tourney. We like Razzano in a close one.

Vesnina – Dementieva – Elena finally does it. Vesnina outlasted little Cibulkova, but Elena is a bird of a different feather. Elena can see the semis. She comes out gunning and cruises in this one.

Azarenka – Petrova – The match of the day. Two hard hitting top players. Petrova beats tough Gisela Dulko, Sharapova’s conqueror, in three sets. Azarenka is playing as well as anyone. We like her to go all the way. She may stumble here but it will be momentary.

Hantuchova – Serena – Daniela had trouble with Laura Robson. Are you kidding? Batten the hatches. You can take this to the bank. Serena in a duck shoot and off the court in less than 90 minutes.

All top four seeds are still playing. Kuznetsova (5), Jankovic (6), Zvonareva (7) are out. Unseeded Oudin, Hantuchova, Vesnina, Schiavone and Lisicki are still kicking. Big changes in the rankings will give the U.S. Open a different look.

What a day ahead. Enjoy!

Tags:

1 Comment »

• Dear Sir/Madam:

I am Miss Desiree Ragas. I am enquiring where & how to buy a ticket for this years Wimbledon tournament.
    I tried to go to ticketmaster website but it seems that the ticket is not out to public yet starting from Thursday till Sunday.
    Can I book this with you or should I wait for it once it is open to public?
    Thank you for your prompt reply.

Yours sincerely,
    Desiree

Comment by Desiree Ragas — June 29, 2009 @ 2:48 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment